Universal has fired a woman in order to hire a guy who writes women’s movies to come up with a script for a new Battlestar Galactica movie.
Jay Basu, the man behind both The Girl In The Spider Web and the reboot of Charlie’s Angels has replaced Lisa Joy (Westworld) on what has been described as a “reimagining” of the Glen Larson 1970s TV series and not a sequel to the highly-successful 2003 TV show.
According to The Wrap, Francis Lawrence, the director of Hunger Games and Red Sparrow, will be behind the camera.
Ok, we can see where this is going.
Look, Battlestar Galactica 1978 Sucked
Gary A. Larson, a devout Mormon, took advantage of the space-opera craze that came on the heels of Star Wars to produce what amounted to Mormon propaganda with starfighters and bad robots.
- The colonies were based on a president and a “council” or “quorum” of twelve. The LDS church is based on a president and a council or quorum of twelve.
- The colonies originated on the planet Kobol, where all life began. The Mormon faithful believe that the Lord lives on the planet Kolob.
- The colonies were started by the 13 tribes which left Kobol and formed the 12 colonies. The thirteenth tribe was lost and is believed to have gone to the Earth. The LDS church believes that the 13 tribes of Isreal were scattered and colonized the Earth. The 13th tribe was lost.
- The Colonial saying “The glory of the universe is intelligence” is very similar to the Mormon saying “The glory of God is intelligence”.
And the list goes on and on.
What’s more, the sensibility of the show – along with others like Magnum PI, The Fall Guy and CHiPs – was firmly lodged in the late-70s / early-80s cute-mugging, family-friendly shlock that is almost gag-inducing today.
Battlestar Galactica 2003 Rocks
I know that a lot of our B A S E D readers will say that the SyFy Battlestar Galactica (4/5) was the first “woke” show where male lead characters were replaced with female lead characters.
So Fucking What?
- They were replacing male characters on a show that no one cared about.
- There were no lectures, on or off camera, about #STRONK, independent wahmen.
- The female characters were never Muh Rey Sues. Just like everyone on the show, they were pretty much unrepentant fuck-ups who occasionally pulled off some heroics.
What’s more, they did a lot of ballsy shit on the show like:
Dropping Nukes. Lots Of Them.
Billions dead… all because Gaius Baltar wanted to impress a girl.
Using Sex As A Weapon. A Very Effective Weapon.
They don’t make machines like this anymore.
Shame they aren’t going back to these characters. Or this particular scenario.
But that would practically be heresy in this era; a woman uses sex to manipulate a weak man? That just doesn’t happen! Boycott! Deplatform! Unperson!
Truly a shame…