I’ve seen the final scene from The Empire Strikes Back for a couple of months now.
The direction by Kershner is just amazing. It’s possibly the best-directed movie of all time.
Here are my observations:
- Models are infinitely better than CGI
- The glowing engines on the X-Wings lend infinite credibility to the shot
- The sound design is incredible. Sublime.
- There are six lines of dialogue in 2 minutes. 8 if you count a droid.
- Leia doesn’t speak. She’s so heart-stricken. But Chewie reminds her of Han. And her smile makes it all OK.
- “Ow!” Luke, despite all of the bad shit that just happened to him, is still a dumb-fuck farmboy.
- Lando is grinning as they take off. It’s not some “It’s so serious” nonsense. It’s just another adventure. He’s happy to be involved. And so are we.
- The last line of dialogue goes to a droid.
This is one of the greatest scenes in one of the greatest ideas in human history.