There is a lot of mystery surrounding the sequel to Marvel Studios first formal foray into web-slinging, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming:
- When is the movie set? Since Nick Fury and his Girl Friday, Agent Maria Hill, are both showing up is it before Infinity War? After Avengers: End Game?
- Where is the movie set? Does “Far From Home” meaning Peter Parker is lost in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace? Or does it mean he’s pulling a student year abroad in Europe snorting molly and hanging with supermodels?
- Who is this Magnum character that Numan Acar is playing? Is it Moses Magnum?
- What is going on with Jake Gyllenhaal’s Mysterio?
Well, Allow Me Vex You Further
Then there is what Gyllenhaal had to say at CCXP, a Brazil Comic-Con:
“There are these threats to the world, the Elementals, elemental creatures.”
The Elementals — Magnum, Zephyr, Hydron and Hellfire — are essential Asgardian-like gods from another world that first appeared in 1974’s Supernatural Thrillers.
This is confusing because these characters don’t really fit into any kind of Spider-Verse.
What makes more sense is that the “elementals” are actually a crew of old Spidey villains with elemental-like names such as Hydro, Shocker, Molten Man and Sandman.
But, Wait! I Forgot The Best Part!
Jake then continues:
“Mysterio is someone who knows about them and wants to make sure that the world is safe from them. And Nick Fury asks him to come on and help because he’s the only one who really understands them. And then he teams up with friendly neighborhood Spider-Man…”
Is this some kind of situation where the serious actor Jake wanted to be a “different kind of villain”? If Jared Leto can play a straight Joker, why can’t you? On second thought…
Look, if Aquaman can give us a ripped-from-the-pages Black Manta, Marvel can give us the classic Fishbowl Head Mysterio and not something like this:
Can You Get To The Trailer?
So, I guess there are some answers in there:
- School trip? After Homecoming. Before Infinity War?
- Original Mysterio uni
- Elementals are neither of the options above but just some kind of generic 12 Hit Dice Dungeons & Dragons conjuring
- Yes, Michelle (“MJ”) will continue to say silly collegey shit (but she just playin’ now)
- Happy is going to smash your aunt, yo!
Not sure what I think. The Elementals look corny as hell but the banter picks up where it left off, albeit edging a little in the direction of Whedon-speak.
That last line tho… 😆
Have to watch it again a few times.
What Do You People Think?
Spider-Man: Far From Home again fails to give us a real Spider-Man on July 5, 2019.